Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I woke up to the thunder of rain rushing down my downspouts today. Yuck! It was dark, cold, wet, and down right depressing. COFFEE was a requirement - pronto. Reading through some tweets I saw that House and Home had featured a textile designer named, Bev Hisey. Click click and voila, a little sunshine appeared in my miserable day. Hisey is based out of Toronto (my old stomping grounds) and her textile works include rugs, pillows, blankets, panels, and handbags. Yummy yum, they're so colorful they electrify. Her creativity is genuine; anyone who can turn botulism into a floor mat deserves to be recognized. Here's a sampling of her work:

dirty dishes series

Dirty Dishes Carpets in the Medical Series. From the top L to R: Anthrax, SARS, E. coli, Cholera, HIV, Influenza, Botulism, Streptococcus, Acinetobacter

hand tufted carpet

Moroccan Hand Tufted Wool Carpet

hand knotted carpet

O.K. maybe not the most colorful but Bev definitely had a colorful mind when she created this one! The "Mommy Dearest".

hand knotted carpet

"In The Woods I"

hand knotted carpet

"In The Woods I"

cushions
cushions
"Butterflies" and "Ants"

cushions
cushions


Hand Screened "Squiggles" and "Die Cuts"


Visit Bev Hisey.com to perk up your gloomy day! ...and for more details.